Fettercairn Single Malt Whisky
A Highland Icon Reborn
Located in the Eastern Highlands, near the river Esk, Fettercairn lies in a village of the same name in the foothills of the Cairngorms. Founded in 1824, the distillery was sold in 1830 to Sir John Gladstone, father of four-time British prime minister William Gladstone. Gladstone was pivotal in making Scottish whisky more readily available to the public - he legalised the selling of bottles directly to consumers and also abolished the malt tax.
Fettercairn suffered a near fatal fire in 1887 and ceased operations for three years while it was rebuilt. In 1912, the distillery fell silent again, this time for 27 years when, in 1939, it was acquired by Associated Scottish Distillers who restarted production. Current owners Whyte and Mackay purchased the distillery in the 1970s and focussed heavily on improving the spirit and establishing the brand as one of the greatest Highland malts.